Preliminary Entrant Information:
- The competition will be held at Columbia Basin College in the P-Building Theatre on March 5th, 2022
- All competition participants must be students from Kindergarten through Grade 12 who reside in the Mid-Columbia area of Washington and Oregon. This includes the counties of Benton, Franklin, Walla Walla, Adams, Grant, Columbia, Klickitat, Yakima, Umatilla, and Morrow.
- Registration has been extended to Feb. 25th 2022 by 11:59 pm PST
- There will be a nonrefundable registration fee of $50 per competitor
- Once a form is submitted, a staff member will contact the student and their parent(s)/guardian(s) to assign a practice room window and performance time, as well as provide payment details and other supplementary information.
Competition Rules and Repertoire:
- There will be nine divisions:
Primary: K - 5th Grade – Piano, Strings
Intermediate: 6th - 8th Grade – Piano, Strings, Winds
Senior: 9th - 12th Grade – Piano, Strings, Winds, Voice
- Previous competition winners who have performed in concert with the Mid-Columbia Symphony are ineligible to win within the same division, but may apply within a different instrument/age group.
- Entrants will be given a 15-minute total window to perform their music as submitted, memorized, and from standard orchestral repertoire for soloists.
- Cuts may be made to an arrangement so as to fit it within the time limit, though it is expected for all recited movements to be performable unabridged if selected as winners to play with the Symphony.
- Judges will observe for:
Expressive Performability - Delivering a compelling and engaged performance
Stylistic Acumen - Proficiently and consistently conveying the tone, texture, and theme of the music
Technical Fluency - Demonstrating a familiarity with the conventions of music reading and the operation of their instrument.
- Judges however, are not obligated to choose or default a winner in any given division.
- Winners will be announced at an awards ceremony taking place after the last entrant has finished their performance.
- Two overall winners will be selected and awarded with a monetary prize of $250 each, publication on the Mid-Columbia Symphony website, and an opportunity to perform their music with the Mid-Columbia Symphony during their May 2022 Concert.
- Divisional winners will be awarded with a monetary prize of $50 each.
Covid-19 Policies - Subject to Change:
- Wearing of masks is mandatory at all times for audience members inside all Columbia Basin College facilities, and social distancing will be enforced in seating - potentially causing limitations on occupancy.
- Only participants, guardians, and instructors will be allowed in the theatre during the competition.
- All attendees will be required to complete a contract tracing sheet and display no Covid-19 symptoms.
- Entrants will be required to wear a mask during all times in which they are not performing in front of the judges.
Young Artists Competition Registration
Application | Eligibility | Repertoire | Rules
How to Apply for the Competition:
1. Fully read through the audition information above to start preparing what you need
2. Continue down to the audition application below, or
3a. Fill out in paper and scan, or edit the form on your computer, and send us the completed application at email@example.com
4. Wait for a Mid-Columbia Symphony representative to contact you and work with them on scheduling your performance
Your content has been submitted
An error occurred. Try again later